Here are the last two tags I sent off in swaps today. I enjoy making these tags so much, I may have to seek out more swaps! Seriously, I think some would make nice tree decorations. As if I need more of those. I have hundreds (no, tell the truth) thousands of Christmas decorations and the last time I put up a full size Christmas tree in this house was ... (drum roll, please) ... NEVER! Yup, I've lived here for 10 years and have yet to open a box of Christmas decorations. I've decorated other people's trees, but not my own. I'm sure I have some wonderful treasures awaiting discovery. Someday.
The Stampin' Up! Holiday Mini catalog is my favorite each year. I love all the Christmas images, and I love making Christmas cards. Yes, I'm ready for some different colors by the time January rolls around, but I really could "do" Christmas designs all year. My paternal grandfather used to make his Christmas cards every year. He drew the designs and inked them, then had them professionally printed (no photocopiers or home printers in those days!). He would then use markers to highlight specific portions of the hundreds of cards he and my grandmother sent out each year. I have a few of them from his later years, and I think they're great. He varied the style substantially each year, and even did interesting trifolds, gatefolds, etc. I'll try to get some pictures to share.
Grandpa also made interesting tags for all his gifts. They were often little cards, not unlike the 3 x 3s we make today, and frequently had little rhymes or riddles in them, giving clues as to the contents of the gift. What I'm trying to say is I come by this Christmas card and tag stuff naturally. It isn't my fault. Really. The first tag kind of reminds me of my grandparent's house, which had been in the family for many years. It had a big porch and bay windows and balconies like the stamp image, but their house was much more in the Queen Anne style. I think the image is interesting because it probably reminds everyone of an historic house ...
On to the last two tags. All supplies Stampin' Up! All images copyright Stampin' Up!
I think the Warmest of Wishes tag turned out to be my favorite. I'm thrilled to have found a good use for that sentiment. We received that Holiday Mini hostess set as a special giftie at convention, which was very nice, but it was not my fave. In fact, I probably wouldn't have purchased it on my own. It's cute, but wasn't high on my list. Until now. The "Warmest of Wishes" sentiment is fantastic. Great font, excellent styling, works with traditional or modern designs. Love it! Who knows? Maybe I'll even fall for the silly Trick or Treating owl next. But probably not the strangely configured NO-EL, which always reminds me of a joke my departed friend Dale used to tell when he did his incredible Santa act every year:
Question: How many letters does the alphabet have at the North Pole?
Answer: 25. There's no "L". Hahahahaha.
Anyway, I have a confession about that tag. (What? Another confession? This is becoming tedious.) I used a retired punch, again. The ribbon is threaded through a slot punch that retired a few years ago. And this time it wasn't an accident. That's right; I deliberately used a retired punch. A previously posted tag with a retired punch really was an accident. But this time I needed a slot to put the ribbon through, and I am not allowed to use a craft knife without supervision. Seriously. There are two potential outcomes when I pick up a craft knife: personal injury or a broken craft knife. I don't think I've ever used one without one of those consequences, so it's best if I stay away. Therefore, the retired punch. But I'm sure it won't be the last time I use a retired product. Unlike many demonstrators, I don't sell off retired stamps or punches. I keep them, in an ever growing collection of paper crafting tools and supplies. Just because Stampin' Up! needs to move on to newer products doesn't mean I have to abandon the orphans! And someday there will be boxes filled with stamping supplies, hanging out with the boxes of Christmas decorations. It's kind of a nice story, in a way.
Thanks for stopping in.


No comments:
Post a Comment